- This event has passed.
NC TraCS 2017 Open House
November 7, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Tales of Translation: Success Stories from the NC TraCS Institute – An Open House Event
This fall, join NC TraCS for an all-day Open House event to hear success stories of translational impact.
Learn how the UNC-Chapel Hill North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences (NCTraCS) Institute is helping UNC and partner institution researchers navigate the translational landscape and discover how NC TraCS can help you with your research.
YOU may be the next success chapter of our story.
Registration Opens at 8:30 AM, light breakfast
- 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM – Welcome and Introductions
- 9:00 AM -11:00 AM – Going Translational through Training and Collaboration – TraCS Research Funding Development Service and Education & Training Programs
- A panel of TraCS-supported researchers who work across the entire translational spectrum will describe and discuss how they integrate translational concepts and methods into their research. Panelists will share why and how they decided to engage in translational research, what they needed to learn, and their view of current opportunities and challenges. They will talk about how the structure of their research programs can and do support translation, resources on campus and avenues of collaboration that helped them do translational work, and their experiences in finding and obtaining funding. During the session, attendees will have an opportunity to join in the discussion and ask questions.
- 11:15 AM – 1:00 PM – Open House Posters and Demos of Biomedical Informatics existing and NEW products
- 11:45 AM – 1:00 PM – Lunch available
- 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM – Commercialization: “Can my research be translated into a product?” – TraCS 4D Program
- Join us for a panel discussion on commercialization, translational research, and opportunity assessment. This session will include a brief introduction to resources at NC TraCS and UNC, case studies from scientists and clinicians who are currently developing a product, and a Q&A session. Topics may include intellectual property, funding, paths to commercialization, regulatory considerations and balancing both academic and commercial roles.
- 1:45 PM – 2:00 PM – Break and opportunity to view Open House Posters
- 2:00 PM – 2:45 PM “This is your Research on Informatics” – TraCS Biomedical Informatics
- This session will demonstrate a selection of the newest TraCS informatics tools to support translational research. Though you may already be familiar with TraCS services like the Carolina Data Warehouse for Health, i2b2, and REDCap, you may not know that we are constantly building on those foundation technologies to bring you new and exciting capabilities. Come see our new approaches to text mining, machine learning, automated recruitment, and more. Let us show you how to apply TraCS informatics tools to your research questions.
- 2:45 PM – 4:00 PM – Open House Posters and Demos of Biomedical Informatics existing and NEW Products