- This event has passed.
NIEHS (OITE/OFCD) Presents: English Communication for Visiting Scientists
January 24, 2019 @ 9:00 am - January 25, 2019 @ 3:00 pm
Jan 24, 2019 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, NIEHS campus, Rodbell A & Jan 25, 2019 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, NIEHS campus, Rodbell BC
SPEAKERS: Sharolyn Kawakami-Schulz, PhD., Scientific Programs Manager, OITE, & Tammy Collins, PhD, Director, NIEHS Office of Fellows’ Career Development
***OPEN TO UNC TRAINEES – MUST PRE REGISTER TO ATTEND!***
This event is recommended for: Graduate Students; Postdocs/Fellows.
The goal of this course is to help visiting scientists and trainees build confidence in their abilities to communicate in English.
During the course we will:
- Discuss strategies for successful communication, specifically in the scientific workplace.
- Develop strategies to communicate effectively with colleagues and potential employers.
- Explore US culture, common greetings, etiquette, and diversity.
- Practice English conversation in a variety of scientific settings and roles.
- Explore resources to help trainees continue to improve during their time at NIH.
- Participants need to be able to commit to both days of class.