- This event has passed.
What’s Missing in STEM Education? Complementing Technical Skills with Confidence and Harnessing a Sense of Belonging
September 14, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
The idea of ‘belonging’ in STEM education is one that is not frequently discussed but is of paramount importance. For women and other underrepresented groups especially (ie. racial, ethnic, first-generation students), a sense of belonging often dictates whether an individual remains in their field of interest. This program will provide discussion of “belonging uncertainty” and provide tools for identifying and overcoming it. Join us for a panel discussion event followed by an interactive leadership workshop led by board certified coach and motivational speaker Peter Metzner of Dynamic Change, Inc.
Schedule for the event:
Panel discussion: 2:00-3:00pm
- Dr. Nylander-French, Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Dr. Jaye Cable, Chair, Curriculum in Environment and Ecology & Professor, Department of Marine Sciences
- Mr. Dave DeVito, Clinical Social Worker, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPs)
- Dr. Stephanie Devane-Johnson,Research Collaborator, School of Nursing
- Mr. Peter Metzner,President of Dynamic Change, Inc. Board Certified Coach and motivational speaker
Break for refreshments: 3-3:30pm
Leadership workshop led by Dynamic Change, Inc: 3:30-4:30pm