Industry Pharmacists Organization (IPhO)
The local UNC IPhO Chapter looks to support students at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy who are interested in pursuing non-traditional pharmacy careers with a focus on the pharmaceutical industry.
IPhO Student Chapters are dedicated to enhancing student pharmacists’ understanding of the pharmaceutical industry by:
- Raising awareness of the roles that industry pharmacists play in drug development, appropriate medication use, and other aspects of industry
- Creating opportunities for student pharmacists to connect with industry pharmacists
- Providing opportunities to participate in industry-focused scholarly activity
- Collaborating with IPhO National to create and distribute industry-focused resources and materials that are targeted to student pharmacists
- Working with IPhO National and local pharmacy school faculty/administration to promote access to industry-focused internship and other experiential opportunities
$15 local dues, $99 national dues (optional, but includes greater access to IPhO resources)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join IPhO at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy?
We will have a registration form for new members in the fall after bridging course. Payment of at least local dues and registration on the National IPhO website are also required for membership.
What opportunities are there for pharmacists working in industry?
There is a broad range of opportunities for pharmacists in industry spanning all aspects of drug development. Some of the common areas where pharmacists work include:
- clinical development working to design trials and data needed to prove safety and efficacy
- regulatory affairs designing strategies to work with regulatory agencies like the FDA to successfully get a new drug approved
- medical affairs creating materials that will aid in the dissemination of new scientific knowledge surrounding a new drug
- commercial helping to successful market a drug after approval
- pharmacovigilance looking at real-world data to determine patient safety
How can IPhO help me prepare for a career in industry?
IPhO has many programs in place to prepare our members to be competitive candidates for internships during pharmacy school as well as fellowships and jobs after graduation. We provide educational opportunities to learn about different industry functional areas from pharmacists currently in the field, the fellowship application process from large national programs and PY4s who have been successful, and networking/mentorship opportunities with UNC Fellows, among other things.
- Fellowship prep series including guest speakers from different industry functional areas
- Summer internship database
- Yearly PY4 PPS survey
- PY4 Fellowship Panel
- CV reviews and writing workshops
- Monthly GBMs with guest speakers
- Fellowship program information sessions
National Student Meeting – held yearly and is an excellent opportunity for networking with other students, fellows, and industry professionals. There is also a large fellowship showcase where students have the opportunity to learn about different programs.
VIP Case Competition – a national competition hosted by IPhO that allows student pharmacists to develop a comprehensive drug development plan for a theoretical drug spanning from clinical development to commercial and marketing.
Fellow Mentorship Program – IPhO members are matched with current Fellows to foster a mentor/mentee relationship that students can use to help learn about industry functional areas and strategies for success during and after pharmacy school.
President – Hannah Feinman
President Elect – Noelia Goti
Director of Professional Programming – Surika Absar
Director of Finance and Fundraising – Patricia Huang
Director of Communications – Stephanie Zhang
Director of Social Media and Marketing – Mori Crocker
VIP Case Managers – Amiee Ho & Alyssa Yin
Fellowship Prep Series Manager – Sissy Addo & Kelsey Chaykowski
Mentorship Program Manager – Sherry Xia
PY4 Liaison – Bailey Burks
Internship Prep Series Manager – Megan Griffin
Dr. Michael Jay