Contemporary Communications in Healthcare
This course exposes participants to approaches and strategies that optimize communication in healthcare. It is well suited for students that are considering a career in the healthcare field, including pharmacy, medicine, nursing, dentistry, allied health, clinical psychology, etc. The course will allow for exploration of a wide range of communication issues that affect health outcomes. The purpose of the course is to provide the learner with a relevant and realistic understanding of the responsibilities associated with health communication and provide students with the practical tools and skills necessary to effectively communicate in today’s dynamic healthcare settings. Students will engage with experienced practitioners to apply course concepts.
About the Course
PHCY 124 Sessions
Communication and Healthcare Systems
Receiving and Providing Constructive Feedback
To broaden perspectives regarding the importance of effective communication; understand the multiple facets of communication within healthcare; become familiar with current communication practices and explore emergent practices; prepare students to effectively communicate and to seek creative solutions to issues that impact healthcare outcomes.
Students completing this course should be able to:
- Describe how underlying issues in health communication may be related to incidents of disease and mortality
- Identify strategies to optimize communication with patients, across disciplines, within a healthcare team, and healthcare organizations
- Organize, prepare and deliver a case presentation involving health communication
- Find and appropriately interpret science-based information about health communication
- Discuss research and theoretical trends of provider-patient, team, mass, and organizational communication