The Office of the Dean is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the Phyllis Smith Staff Award for Excellence and the Staff Impact Awards which includes five new staff awards. For details on each award, please read below. NOTE: Employee must have at least 18 months of employment with the School to qualify with the exception of the Rookie of the Year Award which the employee must have 12-24 months of employment with the School.
The Phyllis Smith Staff Award
This award is made possible through an endowment held by the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Foundation. It was established to recognize Phyllis Smith who exemplified the traits identified below and for her 30 years of service to the School and the University.
This $500 award is given annually to an employee of the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in recognition of overall excellence in performance and contribution to the school. The recipient is someone who not only performs all assigned duties competently but also goes beyond his or her job description. The recipient is committed to the school’s pursuit of excellence through demonstrated business practices and should possess the following traits:
- Effective team member
- Positive attitude
Staff Impact Awards
The Staff Impact awards were established to recognize the achievements of staff who excel at and foster a collaborative and collegial culture, where teamwork, respect for others, and comradery advance the vision and mission of the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. With five defined categories and criteria that reflect our core values, there is an opportunity to identify and celebrate with staff as they continue to put forth an outstanding effort in supporting the School. There will be one winner from each category listed below. Winners will receive $50.00 and a plaque recognizing them for their effort.
- Behind the Scenes Award: This person quietly gets the job done and remains dedicated to serving others and to the mission of the School.
- Positivity Award: This person is upbeat and exhibits the can-do spirit. Talking to this person never fails to brighten your day because they exhibit respect and kindness always.
- Mission Possible: This person is integral to the smooth operations of the School. This person embodies and displays the institutional goals (Expertise, Accountability, Customer-Oriented, Team-Oriented, and Compliance & Integrity).
- Above and Beyond Award: This person goes above and beyond the call of duty to get their job done and is often assisting others with projects. They seek and value collaboration in all aspects of their work.
- Making the Difference Award: This person fosters morale and helps build a sense of community. They embrace diversity and inclusion of thought, backgrounds, and experiences that adds to the richness the School brings to the community.
- Rookie of the Year Award: This new employee of 3 to 18 months is energetically engaged in their new position and provides exceptional effort in the assigned role. They are committed to professional growth and have demonstrated their commitment to excellence. (Recipients are only eligible for this award once).
If you would like to nominate a deserving staff member for either of these awards, please complete the nomination form at pharmacy.unc.edu/awards by Friday, November 22, 2019, at 12:00 PM (Noon).
Nominations are submitted electronically to the Phyllis Smith and Staff Impact Award Committee, the members of which are: staff members – Jackie Feaster, Jason Whitley, and the immediate-past award recipient (Mercedes Tolbert – 2018); and faculty members –Heidi Anksorus, Herb Patterson and Green Shepherd. Kim Hutter and Scott Savage (ex officio) facilitates the work of the committee.
The committee reviews and considers all nominations and then, selects a recipient based upon the criteria listed above. Note that it is the quality of nominations not the number of nominations supporting a given individual that is considered by the committee.
The 2019 recipients will be announced during the Staff Holiday Luncheon on December 13, 2019.Nominate a Staff Member